Hypnos Beds Announce New Commitment to Source Responsible Wool Standard Certified Wool From British Farms
Experts in sustainable luxury, British bedmaker Hypnos is proud to announce a new commitment to Textile Exchange’s Responsible Wool Standard (RWS) ahead of The Bed Show in September.
Hypnos is the first brand in the UK, in any industry sector, to source certified wool from British farms that meets this established and globally recognised standard.
This commitment supports Hypnos’ ongoing mission to create sustainable sleep solutions using materials and fibres that are responsibly sourced providing bona fide reassurance to consumers and retailers alike.
The Responsible Wool Standard is recognised worldwide, but British-grown RWS-certified wool is still relatively new to the UK market. It introduces expertise from major wool-growing regions worldwide alongside climate strategies for the future. Adhering to this progressive standard means considering the wider impact of the whole supply chain on the environment, animals and community. Hypnos will continue to champion the benefits of wool and fairly support British farmers and communities through its established partnership with The Woolkeepers®, to guarantee transparency and integrity from farm gate to shop floor.
David Baldry, Group Managing Director of Hypnos, commented: “Our investment in supporting this progressive international standard in Britain demonstrates how seriously we take our commitment to credible, sustainable initiatives, which we know are increasingly important to consumers but better yet we know they are the right thing to do. Auditing each business and farm thoroughly, the Responsible Wool Standard will help to ensure a positive impact on the environment and British farming communities alike.
“We’re constantly looking to use more low-impact materials and moving beyond neutralising our carbon footprint to actively helping to regenerate the planet with pioneering initiatives and relationships.”
Jo Dawson, Chairman of The Woolkeepers® adds: “After several months work on this project, we are delighted to see this pioneering launch of RWS certified British wool coming to fruition.”
Anna Heaton, Fibre and Materials Strategy Lead at Textile Exchange, comments: “The commitment of the Responsible Wool Standard is to enhance UK farming standards by harnessing the expertise and perspectives of wool-growing regions worldwide.
“Working with The Woolkeepers® initiative we can provide certified, quality wool that’s environmentally and socially mindful, and we are pleased to see Hypnos supporting the Standard in its new collections.”
At The Bed Show, Hypnos will present new and improved mattress collections including the Pillowtop Collection using British wool. An ideal fibre for a great night’s sleep, wool is comfortable, temperature regulating and completely natural. Having created the first luxury Pillowtop mattress in 2011, Hypnos has been redefining the collection over the years to ensure its enduring popularity. This latest collection has the benefit of a more medium feel, giving supreme comfort coupled with high-performance ethically sourced fibres.
Visit Hypnos on stand D70 www.hypnosbeds.com
- Having manufactured luxury handmade beds for more than 100 years, Hypnos is internationally renowned as the expert in handcrafted pocket spring mattresses and divans. Combining traditional skills with constant innovation and using only the finest natural and sustainable materials, Hypnos has a reputation for making the most comfortable and sustainable beds in the world
- Hypnos was the first Carbon Neutral bed manufacturer in the UK and both their factories have achieved FSC® and PEFC certification, ensuring timber is sourced from managed forests
- In 2021, Hypnos’ long-running commitment to reducing its carbon footprint and creating truly sustainable sleep was recognised with a prestigious ‘The Planet Mark – Carbon Neutral Certification’. In 2021, Hypnos was also awarded the Global Recycled Standard which is given to companies who use recycled materials from socially and environmentally responsible manufacturing processes.
- Hypnos uses eOlus™ sustainable fibre, that’s made from recycled plastic bottles, sourced in compliance with the Global Recycled Standard. To date, by using these fibres inside some of our mattresses, we’ve recycled the equivalent of over 290,000,000 plastic bottles, and helped to prevent the pollution of our oceans and land
- Hypnos has been awarded the prestigious Queens Award for Enterprise for International Trade in the 2017 honours list in recognition of its substantial growth and commercial success in international business, as well as receiving it for Sustainable Development in 2020 for its notable sustainable processes and innovations
- Hypnos has a Royal Warrant, providing not only bespoke beds but advice on sleep and wellbeing to the Royal Family
- Hypnos has been awarded the National Bed Federation’s ‘Bed Manufacturer of the Year’ accolade on several occasions. Having previously scooped the prestigious title in 2011, 2014 and 2017, the ethical business is the first company to have been presented with this award three times